CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Journal of Hope Townsend: A Story of Friendship

The week of exams I finally finished my creative project, the one about Selma and the Selma-to-Montgomery march in 1965. Here is an excerpt. There is a possibility of typos and errors.

Sunday January 3, 1965

Dear Journal,
I want to tell you about my best friend Latosha. I love her so much. She is my bestest bestest friend in the whole word. That is a lot of lovin’. We play together everyday. Her mother works for us and Latosha comes with her. Latosha likes purple just like me. Whenever we play I Spy she always picks something purple and I always guess right. She has black hair and brown eyes. She is really pretty. She doesn’t have the same color skin that I have, but that doesn’t change how I feel about her. Some people yell at her and call her names. That is very mean. They also yell at her family and call them names. Someone called her dad a “coon” the other day. I thought a “coon” was something that daddy calls raccoons sometimes. It makes me very upset when people are mean to her and her family. It makes her upset too. Everytime something happens she cries and I feel so bad for her. Why do people do that? Her and her family are the same kind of people everyone else is but just a different color skin. Latosha and her mom came over today even though they don't come on Sundays because they go to church just like us. She brought me a birthday present. She wrote a letter to me telling me how much she is glad I am her friend and that we are BFF-Best Friends Forever. She told me that a man came to Selma today, I think he is a doctor, she said his name is Dr. King. I wonder if one of his grandfathers was a king. She said that he is going to help people get the right to vote. I don’t see why people need help because Daddy and Momma went to the courthouse and filled out thing saying they could vote. She said she went to watch him talk to a bunch of people about having the right to vote. Well I’m getting kind of tired. TTFN-Ta Ta For Now. Hope


The final draft is a little over 20 pages. If you want to know more maybe one day I can get it published. I plan to polish is up and enter it into a contest at the university before April.

0 comments: